Thursday, January 25, 2007
Substance Abuse Fact Sheet and Policy
Have a nice day.
-Pat, The Dog
"Ever considered that you're working yourselves into a frenzy over nothing?"
No. The management of LANL has been a national disgrace for years. Under LANS, it is quickly becoming intolerable. I strongly suspect that "Good Heavens" doesn't work at LANL, or (s)he wouldn't be asking such stupid questions.
Then the LANL cafeteria will start serving poppyseed rolls with lunch.
1/25/2007 10:45 AM
Now that's funny.
I read those docs. Can someone explain how they'll catch prescription drug abuse? Abuse, not short-term or occasional use.
* Many people are aware that the ingestion of poppy seeds may cause a drug test to
indicate the presence of opiates, because poppy seeds contain trace amounts of
morphine and codeine. To distinguish between casual poppy seed ingestion and
abuse of opiates, the cut off level for a positive test is set a sufficient level to
eliminate most initial positives due to poppy seed ingestion. If the screening test
did become positive, a confirmatory test is used that will rule out normal poppy
This begs the question: What other legal substances might trip the thresholds for this test?
Care to play a game of Russian Roulette with your job and future livelihood? Then stay put at LANL and you'll soon be given the chance. I would also advise anyone leaving the LANL grounds for lunch to not consume any beer or cocktails with their lunch. It could cost you your job when you return to work.
Unfortunately, and according to the wording in the policy, that would be assuming that the person is guilty and placing them immediately on investigatory leave and ruining their reputation and possibly their career since it will be plastered over the papers that you have been tested positive and placed on IL. The LANL Public Affairs office will condemn you by saying something stupid and non-supportive. You will persecuted until you get a lawyer and the Lab people get around to re-testing you.
Eventually they will say "ooops" and can't we all get over this and all be friends again - no really, you are a valued employee. By then it is too late and the damage has been done.
I just wonder if this random testing will be done on a routine basis to ADs and above ... probably not.
Look at the section entitled "Off-Site Behavior" on page 5! It's a good thing I'm just a dog!
Certain employee conduct outside of work hours or away from LANL premises may require corrective action, disciplinary action, or other measures when the conduct has a nexus to the workplace, such as:
▪ Bringing discredit to LANL or a LANL sponsoring agency;
▪ Casting significant doubt on the employee's reliability, or trustworthiness in relation to job requirements; or
▪ Casting significant doubt on the employee's ability to reliably comply with LANL safety and security obligations. Such conduct includes criminal acts committed by an employee, such as the unlawful or unauthorized use, possession, transfer, distribution, or sale of controlled substances. Management coordination with HR-ER is required.
▪ Running blogs named LANL, The Corporate Story
What a typically puritanical American point of view to equate a glass of beer taken at meal time with hard narcotics. You must be a Mormon, or a Baptist, or a member of some other bizarre repressive religious cult.
I don't like you, and I haven't even met you.
* 400,000 deaths/yr. from tobacco use (mainly lung cancer)
* 150,000 deaths/yr. from alcoholism in its final stages (mainly liver and kidney failure)
* 50,000 deaths/yr. from automobiles (roughly 40% involving alcohol abuse)
* 15,000 deaths/yr. from guns (people kill people, but they get a big boost from handguns)
* 5,000 deaths/yr. from drug overdoses (mainly cocaine, meth, and heroin)
* none for marijuana "overdose" (hard to define, as a matter of fact)
Now, as to 4 glasses of wine and/or beer per day (2 for women, due to differences in alcohol metabolic rate), there is a recent study showing a benefit (fewer heart attacks, strokes, etc.) when compared to either teetotaling abstinence or a higher rate of use.
Best to follow the maxim: Only go to excess in moderation. And be most strict in your moderation during working hours.
-A wise, old (anonymous) man.